TELL A FRIEND

Copyright © 2011 L. P. Baxter

Esso Filling Station.

Shown below is an old photo-postcard featuring the Esso petrol station, once situated at Blacksmith's Corner in Clavering. Just how different is this scene to the modern filling station!!! Many old garages started out as cycle repair shops attached to the site of a domestic house, then graduated into automobile repairs in the early 20th Century, with fuel coming along later as the roadside petrol pump gained in popularity. Prior to the pump, fuel (or motor spirit as it was known) was distributed in two gallon fuel tins.

 

A six cylinder Ford Mk2 Convertible seen in 1962.

A road, with shops and cars in view, somewhere in the UK during the swinging sixties

No mention of location or date is given on the reverse of this old photo, so unless someone recognises this location, it will have to remain anonymous. Looking at the cars in shot, it would have been taken in the mid to late 1960s, when parking restrictions were few, and the number of foreign-built cars even fewer. Every vehicle in this photograph was built in the UK, which really drives home just how badly we've slipped away from being a dominant car manufacturing country. Nearest the camera, parked at the kerb outside this row of shops, is a Hillman Minx, and a Morris Mini-Minor registration number 3239 NT a little further away parked outside the local Ironmongers. In front of the Mini is one of Luton's finest, a boxy 4 door FC-series Vauxhall Victor, a model that first broke cover at the Motor Show in October 1964. This car was registered DWD 739C, dating it to 1965ish.

 

 Out and About

1955 morris cowley